L319 Panel Van restoration - Seite 2 - L319-forum.de  

L319 Panel Van restoration

Bilder und Beschreibungen von Restaurierarbeiten oder auch selbstherstellen von Ersatzteilen oder Werkzeugen. Sowie Tipps und Tricks die das Arbeiten erleichtern
Antworten
zehbeh

Re: L319 Panel Van restoration

Beitragvon zehbeh » 22.08.2018, 16:03

Rob, I sent you an PN ="Private Nachrichten" with the phine number of Reinhard.

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 31.08.2018, 14:00

Getting close to finishing the upper A pillar for one side at least. Was quite challenging but very happy so far with it. As it is in an ark, it needs cutting and welding which as always pulls metal tighter.
Alignment of the window return was folded last. I was going to weld it on after fabrication for fear of accuracy but it folded over in the vice ok.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 17.09.2018, 14:31

Hi folks.

I hope someone is finding this useful .

Moving rearward...i decided to repair the step entry to provide a fixed datum point to then repair the Lower "A" post.

Of course a little job always increases by 4 squared ! So the step came out easily and complete then I started on the chassis. Interested to see the inside chassis and some welded joints are treated with a special blue zinc rich? Paint.

Anyway chassis is 2mm steel. Floor is 1.0mm by my gritty vernier. The van came with a Caterpillar/komatsu type belly pan of 2mm so now it's in the chassis !
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 19.10.2018, 16:26

An update for those who are interested..its been a busy month in fabrication world and very challenging but very educational for me at least.

No great costs except in time...60 hours a week...every week..just sheet metal and a welding gas...
If you have no idea what I'm on about here's the pictures..

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 19.10.2018, 16:47

Part 2..

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 19.10.2018, 17:04

Part 3
As I made the inner wing arches with very little guidance I was concerned that the outer wing would not match the profile....at all ! But it looks like I can work with what I have..

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 12.01.2019, 00:04

Christmas out of the way and life goes on.

Moving away from the cab area, it became apparent I must remove the cladding on both sides of the van, upper and lower to expose the structure and its corrosion. The lower 300mm on both sides that attaches to the outrigger chassis, some of the outrigger components, of course the horizontal side rails and the triangular gussets.. most of the horizontal "noggins" that support the panel work also were mostly perforated. These are lined with felt and rely on a painted coat of Zinc phosphate paint to protect them, well 50 years and that's not going to work any more ..:)

I folded and fabricated the components, the only saving grace is that it is repeat work despite the endless days to make them because I will not pay anyone to make something, I eventually get the components .. finished
I can't say any one piece is easier because most of the fabrication methods were different. I made the lower "top hat" sections out of 5 pieces because at 1.5mm thick steel I could not fold it and still get a curve in the final piece, with welding however, once I've established a method which works with predictable distortion it is easy to repeat the process 8 times, 40 pieces ..

The side rails I made in galvanised as these only have moderate amount of welding so still benefit from from the Zinc coating being undisturbed and I don't die from Poisoning !

I'm onto the 2nd side now which is easier since I already have the experience of the 1st side plus of course I already made up the parts for both sides.. The rear arches get repaired as I go round and sometimes the chassis outriggers need some work, usually just the closing panel underneath which is 1.5mm, the rest I think is 2mm.

When I'm finally done with the lower both sides, I need to to look at the top where the structure meets the roof but 1st I will brace the rear door pillars and get the doors aligned before removing the rear entry step. Under the sheet metal for the rear bumpers, registration plate etc lies a box section 50 x 30 x 2mm (closes the chassis rail ends) that has been bent slightly but is also perforated, it will come off and a new one fitted. reason is, it needs to be an accurate guide to allow connection pieces to attach to the side structures. currently everything therea is moderately bent or twisted so I start from new.

A couple of months work in pictures..
Rob

PaulTD

Beitragvon PaulTD » 12.01.2019, 00:15

Can you please tell me where to get these mugs? :mrgreen:

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 12.01.2019, 00:20

Pictures 01

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 12.01.2019, 00:27

Hi Paul

I had the mugs made via one of those companies that prints Mugs, teeshirts. Their mugs use a coloured inside which makes a difference.

Steel Noggins, 1mm these were quite difficult to form with the bead rolled edge, since the bead stretches the metal and they would end up curved...so I made the flanges wider, formed the bead and then reduced the flange width...result!

The curved Top hat "vertical section"s were the same width as the anvil (see vice picture) so lucky I was able to form them all exactly the same. note the rebate which allows the side rails to attach flush

The triangular gussets were relatively easy once marked out accurately. I produced 1 in 1mm but it was too thin, so made 8 in 1.5mm, the correct size. They fitted very well but very time consuming to weld on properly, drilling 1st, then painting with weld through primer, prior to plug welding at high amps!
Zuletzt geändert von Robjota am 12.01.2019, 12:56, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 12.01.2019, 00:44

Photos 02

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 12.01.2019, 01:33

Photo 03

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 10.04.2019, 15:53

An update on my restoration here in sunny England..
Roof, rear pillars. Gutter line. Months of work...all fabricated here. Getting the rear doors to hang on the new pillars was the hardest part but it's all challenging.

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 10.04.2019, 15:59

Remainder

Robjota

Beitragvon Robjota » 10.04.2019, 17:45

Part 3.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Restaurierungsdokumentationen und Reparaturanleitungen“